Saturday, December 31, 2011

Last King (Not) In Scotland

So...I'm...in.....Barbados! Usually, this would come with a smile and a deep breath as I stepped out of the plane feeling so fly but not this time. This is the second time I was not happy to be home; the first was in September when I went to a GMO (inbox me if you want to know what a GMO is). There's a song by Switchfoot that I was learning to play on the guitar called "Thrive" which reminds me of the situation - "Always close but never enough...I get so down but I won't give up."

"As the hour drew near to take my last breath
I wasn't quite sure if I was ready to [leave] yet.
I'm walking the path of all the brothers who [tried]
And I'm not sure what awaited me on the other side." (As The Hour Draws Near - Shai Linne)

I walked through the departure lounge and I prayed to God because "it was hard to accept - my heart was heavy you know. I wasn't sure if I was ready to go." I didn't cry though because I don't have a feminine side...just kidding. It takes a while for me to miss home and a longer while for me to start crying.

The plane ride was long, the food was ok and most of the movies which showed I wanted to see. Am I old if I used movies to help me sleep better? I missed the middle half of Transformers and Contagion due to sleep.
As we flew over England I could see castles and meadows and roads and sheep (I think. Little white puffs on the grass). It was all exciting stuff which reminded me of Mr Bean and King Arthur. Of course, it didn't alert me to how cold it would be.

We landed and disembarked the plane and made our way to Border Control. "Tell me what you came in here for?" (The Ambassador). "Well I came to study," I replied. "Do you have your visa?" - "No. I thought I could have come as a visitor and then changed my status," I answered. "I don't think you can do that," the officer rebutted. While at the desk I showed him my acceptance letter and e-mails from the finance office and other letters from banks, and the government, then he seized my passport and sat me down in a waiting area.

I'd call it the public shame area because it's out in the open between the "UK/EEA passengers" and "Non-UK/EEA passengers" queue. And it's the only area with seats and people looking concerned. After sitting and praying for about 20 minutes the officer came back and said that he has to make a few checks and have me answer a few questions. I sat and after about 15 more minutes a lady came out all smiles and took me into the room. In my mind I was thinking that she was crazy or playing the good cop. I sat in a room which looked like a doctor's office with two cameras and a computer.

All smiles and laughter, she took my fingerprints and my picture and gave me a glass of water to drink. It was pretty funny when my prints had be to rescanned about 20 times because the slightest move messed up the picture, but I tried to laugh but that didn't really work. I tried but all I was thinking was that I'd have to "take off all my clothes" like Nelly said and they'd "throw some bows" like Luda. But none of that happened.

I was moved into another room with a desk screwed into the floor and four chairs chained to the floor. I sat and waited for someone to interrogate me, maybe slap the desk and send my heart flying out of my chest or the pee the other direction. I finished off my glass of water and reminded myself that only criminals should be scared of being caught and that I had watched too much Nat Geo. In the back of my mind I said this would make a great story.

The officer who took my passport came back with some paper and explained to me that he was going to write down the questions and my responses. He began:

O: Do you understand the words coming out of my mouth?
M: Yes.
O: Spreken thee English?
M: Yes
O: Annie are you ok? Are you ok, Annie?
M: Yes.

He asked me stuff about the school, my educational background, my intended length of stay, my funding, whose idea was it to come without the visa, and why I chose the school. I answered them all with a straight face and cracked no jokes (hence why all of them are in the blog). He then left and the lady who took my fingerprints came back with some forms stating why she had my prints and what should happen to them in the future. Another guy came in looking sick and he searched me, with my clothes on and gave me another form stating what I had owned and what they found. I was actually so frightened I gave him the garbage from my pockets! The officer came back and offered me some food and then sent me into a room with chairs, tables, lounge chairs and books. It even had blankets and pillows! I thought, "it'll be a long night mate" so I picked up some book about a mother who threw a baby into a well and began reading it.

Unfortunately, the AC was ripping and I got cold. I got up and tapped the window and motioned for someone to come to the door since I didn't know if I could have opened the door and ask for a blanket. When I tapped the window the 4 guys sitting outside looked up and when I motioned to the door one of them waved back! I just shook my head as he came to the door. I asked for my coat and he said "but we have  pillows and oh...where are the blankets?" and got the blankets while I got my coat and it was searched - somehow they didn't find the chocolate bar. I sat back in the room and read and as the story was getting interesting the door opened and the officer came back.

He explained that after talking with his manager, I can switch my status to anything except a student. There is just too much paperwork to be done as a student for persons to change their status in the UK. He apologized multiple times and underscored the fact that we spent a lot of money but the visa is needed before hand. He still had my passport and said that I would get it back when I return to the airport the next day. I was actually allowed to leave the airport! Of course I had to be back to check in else I'd become a fugitive and have to do like Frank Abagnale Jr.

I got a taste of the cold that day and ended up with a sore throat by the night time even though my extremities were covered and my neck was being strangled by a make shift scarf. I still enjoyed it though and soon from now I'll be running around bare back! (And barefoot like Contessa). I learnt some valuable lessons this time. For one, we live in Babylon and Babylon system got rules (no I'm not Rasta). I know all things happen for a reason and in all things God works for the good of those who love him; who are called according to his purpose, as Romans 8:28 says.

It was a pretty interesting ride from the airport to Grantley Adams. I cried that night and on the plane back home and when I got to immigration here I had to go into another office. I now have the black spot and am "famous" in airports and probably have to explain my story all over again every time I land in a country. Hopefully this doesn't block my entry into other countries. I'm hoping to go back as soon as practical.

No comments: